Sunday, June 27, 2010

Shrimp Scampi

My mother-in-law was recently diagnosed gluten intolerant. Whenever she gets down about the things she can't eat, Mark reminds her that now she's forced to eat steak and crab legs instead of some lame pasta with a few specks of crab-like substance in it. :)

And he's right. This week I needed to make something for Mark's parents last minute. The two meals I had planned and had on hand were pizza with peppers, onions, and sausages and shrimp scampi. Shrimp scampi it is! :)

The recipe I used is another from Ellie Krieger. Her recipe doesn't use any butter (olive oil instead), and it includes artichoke hearts. It's not a classic shrimp scampi, but it was really good. And my mother-in-law who LOVES butter said she didn't miss it at all. Ellie, you are a genius.

(Not that I have anything against butter. But, you know, recipes that include whole sticks of butter should just maybe be a special treat rather than an every-day occurance.)

Buying this healthier food cookbook is growing on Mark (not that I need his permission). So far he's really liked everything....which is awesome cause he loves his comfort food. :)

No comments: