Tuesday, November 24, 2009

When the refrigerator is nearly empty

We ate hot dogs last night. That's right. We bought them by request for a tailgate party this weekend (I'm pretty sure it was the first and only time I've bought hot dogs...wait...maybe there was one other time...). There was so much better food at the tailgate that we didn't even put them on the grill. When we got home, I froze three packages and left one out.

I haven't been general grocery shopping in three weeks...so hot dogs were a good solution for last night's dinner. But what to make for a vegetable? Frozen? Nope. I don't have any. Carrots. Nope. Gone. The only veggies I had were 3/4 of a red cabbage, some tomatoes, and half an onion.

Using some, but not all, of those ingredients and some other stuff I happened to have on hand, I made a totally awesome slaw that I highly recommend. Thanks, Rachel Ray.

In a medium bowl, combine the juice of 2 limes, 1/4 c honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 2 tablespoons hot sauce. I know it sounds like a crazy amount of hot sauce, but I promise, it won't even be spicy. Whisk to combine. Add 1 small head red cabbage, shredded, and half of a red onion, sliced. Toss to coat. Enjoy tremendously!

Again, a cell phone picture. I hope I'm getting a camera for Christmas. :(



Now...what to make tonight....

No comments: