Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A new food-crush

I have several new food "celebrity" crushes.

The first I'd like to share with you is Ree Drummond, aka the pioneer woman. She is a fascinating woman with a really fun, random voice. And, by all appearances, she makes really, really good food. Not pretentious food, but good, tasty food.

I've tried two of her recipes so far. Both were fantastic.

The first was cinnamon toast. Amazing. Gooey and caramelized and wonderful. Definitely the right way to make cinnamon toast.

The second was restaurant style salsa. I loved this recipe. It uses canned tomatoes. It requires no chopping (the food processor does all the work), and yet it tastes fresh and bright. Ree is right, I may never buy jarred salsa again (well...I won't want to anyway). I highly recommend trying it.

I think my next step may be buying her cookbook.

I have to warn you though, Ree's recipes feed a crowd, and they don't really shoot for "healthy" or "low fat." Her family must get really hungry working on the ranch. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite PW recipe is probably the breakfast burritos (paired with her breakfast potatoes). I've made that one more than any other.

You're right: she's not exactly low-fat (so much butter!), but I find it pretty easy to health-ify some of her recipes.